Hello Mi Fans, Today I will share with you a detailed guide on how you can Unlock Bootloader of Any Xiaomi Phones.
If you want to unlock your bootloader to root your phone or to install custom recovery then you are at the right place.
The below-mentioned steps are very simple and easy to implement so read the full article to not miss any step.
Table of Contents
- What is Bootloader?
- Pre-Requisites before you Unlock Bootloader
- Unlock Bootloader of Any Xiaomi Phone
- Final Procedure to Unlock Bootloader
- Check whether Bootloader is Unlocked or not?
- Unlocked Bootloader, what to do next?
What is Bootloader?
In the simplest terms, a bootloader is a piece of software that runs every time your phone starts up. It tells the phone what programs to load in order to make your phone run.
The bootloader starts up the Android operating system when you turn on the phone. This is a pretty important job, so it’s very important that nothing goes wrong with it. That’s why phones keep their bootloaders stored in special stable memory.
Alternatively, the bootloader can start up recovery mode. When a phone is in recovery, it can execute large pieces of code that totally rewrite the Android operating system.
The bootloader is important because it loads both of these pieces of software. Without a working bootloader, your phone is a useless brick.
Why Unlocked Bootloaders Are Important
Some bootloaders contain an extra layer of security that checks to make sure that it only loads an operating system that passes its approval process.
A locked bootloader means you can’t install your own OS. For most people, that’s fine. However, if you want to put the latest version of CyanogenMod or any other custom ROM on your phone, a locked bootloader means you can’t.
Locking the bootloader is a very serious practice with some serious implications. It can present a challenge to Android developers and enthusiasts who wish to install custom ROMs or change the phone.
Advantages of Unlocking Bootloader
- It unlocks access to administrative settings, allowing you to download custom ROMs, custom kernels, etc.
- It allows you to install apps blocked by the administrator.
- It allows users to manage partitions and remove pre-installed bloatware.
- You can install Custom ROMs of your choice.
Disdvantages of Unlocking Bootloader
- It will allow unauthorized access to your device due to third-party installs.
- It will block access to secured apps like Paytm, other banking apps, Netflix, etc.
- It may cause a loss of your data and will make your phone broken if loading is not done properly.
Pre-Requisites before you Unlock Bootloader
- Make sure you have PC/Laptop and USB Cable
- Charge your Xiaomi phone to at least 60% or more, as the unlocking process might take more time.
- Take Backup of your Xiaomi Phone (as there might be data loss if you do anything wrong)
- Make sure you have a Simcard inserted and a Mi account linked with the same sim.
- Download and Install Mi Unlock Tool (Download link is below)
- This guide is only for Xiaomi smartphones. Do not try this guide for any other phone otherwise, your phone may get bricked.
Download Mi Unlock Tool
|Name||Mi Unlock Tool|
|Download Link —>||Download Here|
Note: If anything happens to your smartphone we are not responsible for any kind of loss and damage to your smartphone. Try this method at your own risk.
Unlock Bootloader of Any Xiaomi Phone
Step #1: Turn on Sync Option – Go to Settings >> Mi Account >> Xiaomi Cloud >> Find Device >> Turn it On (If you don’t have a Mi account then create one with the same sim which is on your phone otherwise it is not going to work and throw an error)
Step #2: Enable Developer Option – Go to Settings >> About Phone >> Then Tap MIUI version 5-7 times to enable Developer Options.
Step #3: Enable USB Debugging – Go to Settings >> Additonal Settings >> Developer Options >> Turn on USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Step #4: Now turn on your Mobile data, here you have to use the same sim that is registered with your Mi Account.
Step #5: Now again go to Mi Unlock Status in Developer Option and click on Add account and device. (If you are getting an error “Couldn’t verify. Try adding your account and device again” click on the link to know how to remove this error)
Step #6: Once it is done Power Off your phone
Step #7: Boot your phone into Fastboot mode. Don’t know how to do it? Press Volume Down and Power Button simultaneously.
Step #8: Once it is in Fastboot mode connect it with PC/Laptop using a USB cable.
Final Procedure to Unlock Bootloader
Step #1: Extract the zip file which you have downloaded on your PC/Laptop and open the application named “Mi unlock flash file”. Log in using the same Mi account which is being used on the Xiaomi smartphone.
Step #2: Before starting with the Mi bootloader unlocking process, tap on the top-right gear icon to check the update for both the USB driver and Mi Unlock Tool.
Step #3: A new message will appear on the screen, “Phone connected”. Now, click on the “Unlock” button to unlock the bootloader.
Congrats, now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on the Xiaomi phone.
Check whether Bootloader is Unlocked or not?
By now, I am guessing you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Xiaomi device. Before you head on to do other things such as flashing the MIUI device or rooting the device, do a quick check if the unlock procedure was a success.
Close the Mi unlock tool and reboot the device. Go to Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Option >> Mi Unlock Status
Unlocked Bootloader, what to do next?
There are a number of things that you can do after unlocking the bootloader. You can now root the device which will allow you to customize the smartphone to the highest degree
If rooting seems a hassle, you can shift to the MIUI China ROM to get the latest features of MIUI as they arrive. Apart from that, you can install custom ROMs such as Pixel experience, LineageOS, etc.
You can delete the Xiaomi bloatware, although there is a hidden method through which users can delete system apps without unlocking or rooting the device.